Sunday, January 1, 2012

Aqua Spray Paint Before & After

I refinished this cedar hope chest for my sister before I moved to Arizona last year, except I didn't have time to paint the handles and fix the missing lock hole. My sister promise she would do it, I even showed her how, yet every time I went back to Utah to visit the poor hope chest was still unfinished. :) Sooo, this past week I finally decided it was time. It had to be done. 


Here's a little bit of the process. I primed with KILZ spray paint (I think 2 coats) and sanded lightly in between. Then spray painted a few coats of this...
After that it looked like this...
Then glazed the entire piece with a black glaze. This picture shows what exactly glaze does. The left side is bare and the right side has already been glazed. It makes a huge difference...
Glaze up close...
And another before & after...
 It was hard to find a replacement for the missing lock so I decided to browse Hobby Lobby and see what I could come up with. I ended up with this cute little thing- I think I found it in the scrapbook section? I could be wrong though. Anyway, I just glued it on there and it ended up looking really cute..
Spray painted the handles with black(ish) metal spray paint...
 
And 11 months later she's finished! :)

2 comments:

Christy said...

I love your blog! If I could make one suggestion it would be to make a supply list at the top of each post for people who want to try out your projects. I like seeing the supplies needed in one easy to find spot. Keep up the good work!

Krista said...

It's beautiful Ashley. There's such a huge difference with the finished product. I love it.